The high-altitude effort has been delayed as the search at Julian Sands nears the end of its second week

A new search for Julian Sands in higher ground is still not possible due to poor conditions, authorities said, as efforts to find the missing British actor neared the end of the second week.

An update shared Tuesday by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said “numerous” ground and aerial searches had previously been conducted in the lower areas, but no evidence of the actor’s location had been found.

Sands was first reported missing on January 13 in the Baldy Bowl area of ​​Southern California’s San Gabriel Mountains.

It comes as the department announced that a second tourist who went missing in the same area has been found alive.

But a department spokesman told the PA news agency that while the above-ground search for the second hiker provided an opportunity for secondary sweeping, Sands still has not been located.

They added that further ground searches in higher-altitude areas were still not possible due to the conditions.

“The Sheriff’s Department is approaching its second full week of searching for missing tourist Julian Sands,” the online statement reads.

“There have been many ground and air searches. To date, Mr. Sands has not been found and no evidence of his current location has been found.

“The search will continue if weather and ground conditions permit.”

The statement added: “Regardless of the precautions taken by hikers, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department strongly advises hikers to avoid dangerous mountainous areas such as Mt Baldy during this time.”

This comes after the Sands family praised the “heroic” efforts of California authorities conducting the search.

In a statement also shared by the sheriff’s office, his family said they were “deeply touched” by the support they had received in the days since his disappearance.

“We extend our heartfelt thanks to the compassionate members of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department who are coordinating the search for our beloved Julian, in particular the heroic search teams listed below who brave the harsh conditions on the ground and in the air to bring Julian home,” the statement read.

“We are deeply touched by the wave of love and support.”

The statement listed various organizations involved in the search, including local and non-county forces, as well as specialized canine and caving teams.

On Monday, a spokesman for the sheriff’s department told the PA news agency that conditions were still too dangerous for ground crews and that the search would only be conducted by helicopter.

They said infrared devices were used, but there was no sign of Sands.

Federal agencies are now part of the effort to find Sands, using cell phone investigations to help determine the actor’s location.

It was previously revealed that pings from Sands’ phone seemed to indicate that he was on the move, heading further into the mountainous area of ​​Baldy Bowl on the day he was reported missing.

Sands was born in Yorkshire and moved to Los Angeles in 2020.

His breakthrough role was as the carefree George in the period drama A Room with a View, opposite Helena Bonham Carter.

He later moved into the horror genre, appearing in films such as The Wizard and Arachnophobia as well as dramatic roles on television.

He recently played the head doctor in the 2021 Jack Lowden and Peter Capaldi-led drama Benediction.

From 1984 to 1987, Sands was married to future Evening Standard and Today editor Sarah Sands, with whom he has a son. He also has two daughters with journalist Evgenia Citkowitz, whom he married in 1990.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *